[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Dec 2 10:32:43 CET 2008

> It is not helpful because on an utf-8 system ansistring contains utf-8.
> Ansistring just means: use the system locale 8 bit encoding.

I meant it would be helpful to (optionally) have a complete ANSI based
system (as was the previous version of Lazarus and FPC).

I don't understand what you mean by "an utf-8 system ansistring contains
utf-8". The LCL/RTL in the ANSI based system would provide the
appropriate conversions for the user code. UTF8 coded System Strings
(hopefully type "UTF8String" and not "ANSSrting" :) ) would only appear
in user code if the user directly does low level system interface calls.
Here of course (s)he needs to know what (s)he is doing anyway.

-Michael