[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Dec 1 21:46:30 CET 2008

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:

> > Do they have some way to indicate that a procedure/method only supports
> > a certain encoding?
>
> No.
>
> > Or do you have to manually force the encoding in that way?
>
> Yes.

Clear. I just wondered how they solved it.

> > I prefer a declarative way to solve this.
> In the Pascal case, you could simply declare your parameter as
> UTF8String (or whatever) and the compiler would insert a conversion
> from this universal string type into a utf8string.

I know. With that modification I thought that was the best too until Tiburon details
emerged.

Actually I still think that our original is the best, not considering
compatibility issues, but I don't think the difference is worth losing at least
base level Tiburon compatibility over. Specially because their solution has
some advantages too (can more gradually change ansistring code)