[fpc-devel] FPC hash tables vs hash lists?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:03:00 CEST 2007

On 24/10/2007, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > I read the online docs again. Looking only at the hash classes storing
> > pointers. I still don't understand the difference if any between the
> > TFPHashList and TFPDataHashTable classes?
> >
> > That's why I said before:  List vs Table
>
> Functionally, there is no difference...

In that case, why have both implementations? Backward compatibility maybe?

I just found it confusing and am sure others would too.  I needed a
Hash List and thought the contnrs unit would have something.  Found
both implementations (xxxLists and xxxTables) and then wasn't sure
which one to use.  I then turned to the documentation, and from that,
their functionality also sounded the same.

So now I flipped a coin and started using the xxxTable classes.  :-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -