[fpc-devel] ARM4 and THUMB instruction sets

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:03:06 CEST 2007

Hello,

I was reading about the difference between arm4 and thumb:
http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/ARM4,_ARMI_&_THUMB

Because I noted that all examples for Symbian OS use thumb and fpc
supports only arm4.

Acording to the nokia wiki using thumb would be produce smaller and
faster code on the majority of mobiles, so it may be useful to see of
we can easely support thumb. Since we always use an external assembler
for arm, I wounder: Wouldn't be supporting arm4/thumb just a question
of switching a switch when calling the assembler?

Or is the assembler different for both instruction sets, or do we use
one of the arm4 specific instruction?

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho