[fpc-devel] copyright infringement in FPC code

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Nov 13 23:34:34 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:59:50 +0200
ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> > What I found in Lazarus code so far was that somebody _was_ peaking
> > at the Delphi code at some stage.

Yes.

1.
Many pascal programmers have several years Delphi experience and are
used to the Delphi coding style and naming scheme. So when they create a
new method/class, the variables will usually have Delphi names, Delphi
block sizes, etc.

2.
There was a short discussion some years ago when I started
the codetools, how the generated code should look like. I feared that
when the codetools class completion creates the same code as Delphi,
people will eventually come up with copyright. The only strange thing
is that it took 6 years. One fourth of the LCL is auto generated
code.

>[...]
> And it also looks like lack of good imagination, and the wish to make
> the code more readable :)

Many keep Delphi compatibility, because they like it, not only OOP
and the Delphi features, but the coding style as well.

> > Good news is that that's where the similarity ends (well in the
> > units I checked). Importantly, the method bodies seem to be
> > implemented differently, except for the very elementary methods.
>
> What are the elementary methods ?

Attached is an example.

Mattias