[fpc-devel] copyright infringement in FPC code

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:59:50 CET 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 10:51 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/11/2007, peter green <plugwash at p10link.net> wrote:
> >
> > In many cases two people trying to implement the same relatively simple
> > behaviour will end up with code that differs in little more than
> > variable names and spacing without needing to copy.
> >

> What I found in Lazarus code so far was that somebody _was_ peaking at
> the Delphi code at some stage.

I can tell you that I used Delphi up until 2003/4 ... I stopped only
when I moved completely away from the Windows world... And so does
many other people in this list (that used/are using Delphi as the
development tool at work etc..).

> Numerous methods have variables declared with the exact same names, type and order or appearance.  I
> don't believe that was a coincidence.

I think that some variable names will be the same. For example in
socket based HTTP, I saw many implementations that uses the variable
name of "payload". Or when you have a variable that stores a name,
someone call it "name", or when it is a coordinate based variable,
then you will find something such as "coord" or "coordinates" etc..
And it also looks like lack of good imagination, and the wish to make
the code more readable :)

> Good news is that that's where the similarity ends (well in the units I checked). Importantly, the
> method bodies seem to be implemented differently, except for the very elementary methods.

What are the elementary methods ?

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Ido