[fpc-devel] Google summer of code

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at quicknet.nl
Fri Mar 9 23:11:36 CET 2007

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:
> Here is my initial proposal:
>
> ------------------------
>
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> With this email we would like to apply as mentoring organization for
> your "Summer of Code" program. We hope that with your funding we can
> improve the project.
>
> FPC/Lazarus is the joined effort of two development teams to bring the
> power of RAD tools using a compiled language to all interesting
> platforms. Currently we support several architectures (x86,
> Amd64/x86_64, PowerPC, Sparc and ARM), and several operating systems
> (Windows, Windows CE, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Mac OS classic, DOS,
> Win32, OS/2, Netware, MorphOS and others). We, the maintainers of the
> FreePascal and Lazarus projects would like to apply as a single
> organization (called FPC/Lazarus) since our projects are very closely
> related.
>
> FreePascal (http://www.freepascal.org/) develops a free multiplatform
> Pascal compiler and the runtime environment. The FreePascal project is
> already a very long-running OSS project, it has been developed in 1993
> with a first release in 1996 (http://tinyurl.com/edolq) and since then
> has evolved in a rather large project, already supporting a lot of
> platforms on several different processor families. The FreePascal team
> would like to take this opportunity to extend the compiler and improve
> its quality even more. A collection of ideas for students working on
> the
> FreePascal can be found at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/index.php/Open_tasks . Of course we are
> willing to provide more exact requirements for each particular task if
> required.
>
> Lazarus (http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org) has been founded in 1999
> with the goal of developing a RAD IDE based on FPC. It provides a
> modern class library and an IDE for the development of GUI programs,
> and is compatible with Borland Delphi VCL, which allows complex GUI
> software created on Delphi to be ported to many platforms using
> Lazarus. We hope that this project will allow us to improve our
> project, add new features, and make it an even better cross-platform
> development environment. There is a collection of ideas to be
> implemented here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Feature_Ideas
>
> Both the compiler and IDE are provided under the GPL, while the
> runtime libraries are provided under the LGPL with the explicit
> permission for static linking.
>
> Several of the developers have experience with teaching students or
> work as professional software engineers, so we think that the mentored
> students will be able to learn a lot about software development
> besides the experience they can get when participating the Summer of
> Code.
>
> We applied last year to participade on summer of code.

We applied last year to participate on summer of code.

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho will be the organization administrator.
> He's e-mail is felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail
>
> Our mailling lists can be found at:
> http://www.freepascal.org/maillist.var and
> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=StaticPage&file=index&sURL=maill
>

> Our main IRC channels are #fpc and #lazarus-ide , both on FreeNode server.
>
> Best regards,
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho in behalf of the FPC/Lazarus development teams
>
> --------------------
>
> I'm not sure how to answer the following topics. I will just make a
> guess of how to answer them here:
>
>> 11. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please
> include Google Account information.
>
> I would say that probably Florian could be the backup admin
>
> Just what is a Google Account information?????

I think a gmail email address.

>> 12. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account Information.
>
> I here thereby nominate: Mattias, Daniel Mationi, Peter, Mark, Vincent =)

Daniel Mantione

> Later we can change this anyway.
>
> Other volunteers?
>
>> 13. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as
> mentors? Please be as specific as possible.
>
> All the selected individuals have greatly contributed to our projects.
> For a short example, Peter wrote a new Internal Linker for FPC,
> Mattias leads the gtk development on Lazarus and Mark the Windows
> development.

I think both Mattias and Mark work in much larger parts of Lazarus. I
would describe them as two people who have contributed much in almost
all parts of the project (IDE, debugger, designer, codetools, LCL,
different widgetsets).

Vincent