[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 18 20:49:21 CEST 2007

Op Wed, 18 Jul 2007, schreef Jonas Maebe:

> On 17 Jul 2007, at 23:20, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > > The result is that the keyboard unit is no longer able to catch keys
> > > like
> > > escape, shift+tab alt+F1..F12 etc. on the Linux console. This affects
> > > the
> > > Free Pascal IDE and any other program using the keyboard unit.
> >
> > Install the IDE setuid.
>
> That would be an extremely bad idea with the current stability record of the
> IDE.

A possible way out is to install the IDE setuid root, then drop all
capabilities except the right one and change uid. It is not a good
solution, because then every program using the keyboard would need such a
trick and I'm sure one of your users will code a security hole sooner or
later this way.

However, for the IDE itself, it could be effective.

Daniël