[fpc-devel] How to build Win32 FPC compiler for linux-arm devices?

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Jan 30 17:43:41 CET 2007

Op Mon, 29 Jan 2007, schreef Michael Schnell:

> For compiling for ARM a cross compiler is necessary anyway,

Yes, but, the big difference is that the ARM cross compiler for Linux is
an official FPC release and therefore useable without digging into the
compiler build process. Simply download 2.0.4 for ARM and ready you are.

There is one big thing I forgot totally forget about in my original
e-mail: Francesco Lombardi did build and upload a Win32 -> ARM Linux
crosscompiler snapshot sime time ago:

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v21/arm-linux

>  but nonetheless I
> feel that when doing work for Linux it's a good idea to use Linux as an
> development system, too.

Yes, it is less work to get everything running, and development is easier,
since you can test your software on your desktop instead of having to
transfer it to your ARM device every time.

Daniël