[fpc-devel] LNet removal from FCL

Aleš Katona almindor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:00:32 CET 2007

On Št, 2007-01-04 at 23:15 +0100, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> I don't know if I'm really happy with this. lNet was a usefull addition
> to the fcl. Now the fcl doesn't have any tcp/ip-components.
>
> I had some plans to write a new sqldb-connection based on lNet. That's
> became difficult now.

I think you'd find it even more difficult by the time my API change of
callbacks would hit FCL (next release will have it). It was needed but
ugly. LNet isn't stable enough for FCL yet.

> About the slow release cycle, that's not only a problem with lNet, but
> also, for example, for the database-components. But for those who want
> the fastest-and-the-greatest, they can download it themselves.

It's also about me having to have modified makefiles so when I debug
stuff/work with laz I'm sure that there's no fcl version going on.

> And if they can't work with two different versions, they shoudn't
> download the latest versions themselves. If then can't handle that, it's
> their problem, not of those who know how it works. ie. the ones who want
> lNet in the fcl.
>
> I think you can better educate newbies, then make things fool-proof. If
> you want that, use visual-basic.
>
> Joost

I think it'd be best if lNet went into packages but I want to wait to
see how the whole new packaging will look before doing anything now.

Ales