[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Vinzent Hoefler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Mon Dec 3 09:41:01 CET 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 09:20, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 03/12/2007, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> > That is an open door that has been kicked in by all vendors. The
> > problem is
>
 > I kind-of understand that... Borland tried to encapsulate the whole
> threading thing in a  TThread class.

Yeah, right. And back in 1983, Ada already tried to encapsulate that in
a task object.

If any of the FPC developers had time to implement something more nifty,
there would have been plenty of time to come up with something. Quite a
while ago there were even some ideas shared for the OMP API etc. pp.

I can't imagine that Microsoft's ideas of adding multi processing to
dot-net will change the overall picture. Especially not when I think of
all the parallel language( construct)s invented in the past 30 years to
accomplish just that.

Vinzent.