[fpc-devel] patch minigzip

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Sep 8 11:01:52 CEST 2006

On 8 sep 2006, at 10:55, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

>> I'm only talking Pascal compilers: this is a unit part of a
>> package which is
>> available for different Pascal compiler, so people using different
>> Pascal
>> compilers (apparently) use the unit and the types declared to it.
>
> There is no need for this unit in order to be able to support
> different
> Pascal compilers.

It is needed if the package(s) for other Pascal compilers include(s)
this unit and if people depend on it.

>> Not knowing what this is for, this may be right (maybe it's when
>> compressing
>> and the zipped data must always be stored little endian?) or wrong...
>
> There are no endian conversions at all in the paszlib package,
> which is
> IMHO impossible for correct behaviour but many of these
> constructions. To
> be sure, can you test minigzip on OS X?

It works fine (I compressed a file with minigzip and uncompressed it
with gunzip).

>> The problem is that it breaks code which depends on zutil and the
>> types
>> declared in it.
>
> Zutil is internal paszlib use only, it is not part of the published
> interface.

But it is nevertheless used by external code according the posts in
this thread. It doesn't cost us anything to include it, except for a
couple hundreds of bytes.

Jonas