[fpc-devel] Threads and alot of crap

Ales Katona almindor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 22:35:44 CEST 2006

On po , 2006-10-16 at 22:21 +0200, Daniël Mantione wrote:

> Op Mon, 16 Oct 2006, schreef Ales Katona:
>
> > Write your ideas on the subject please.
>
> Short answer: Kick pthreads and use kernel threads.

That's a nice idea but there are a few problems.

Kernel threads for example in freeBSD require a "scheduler" in userlevel
along with other userlevel stuff which is normaly implemented by one of
the pthreads libs. This means we'd have to implement a full blown
threading lib.

I already added kse_ syscalls in freeBSD, if we want to go this route,
these can be used to add proper SMP support to our threads, but I think
using pthreads would be more sane.