[fpc-devel] using sse2 packed doubles

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Oct 6 19:53:59 CEST 2006

Op Fri, 6 Oct 2006, schreef Micha Nelissen:

> Vincent Snijders wrote:
> > So if fpc hypothetically would support a type double2 = array[0..1] of
> > double and operators like + - * on it would use the packed double
> > instructions of sse2, then it could be used in the shoutout benchmarks.
>
> Isn't it better to generalize this support to vectors ? Maybe in the
> future it will support 3 or 4 packed at once.

Take a look at Vector Pascal, it contains language extensions to deal with
exactly this. (And FPC's MMX support could do this primitively as well.)

If we add language extenstions, I would like them to language wise
compatible with the Vector Pascal extensions.

You could also start an assembler implementation of the matrix unit. I
suppose using it is allowed, and a Tvector2_double looks a lot like such a
double2.

Daniël