[fpc-devel] Threads and alot of crap continued

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 8 11:41:39 CET 2006

> But now ... rereading the post, the original text was "You can't just
> put a TTimer in which works in it's own thread and then calls some
> callback in it's own thread," and I still wonder why I shouldn't be
> able to do that (well, if TTimer would actually do what its name
> suggests and no-one else would change the subject to one particular
> Delphi-way-implementation called TTimer, when I am still talking about
> a timer object in general).

Of course it would be great if a TTimer would fire it's events in a
thread context that can be selected by the user (e.g. the thread context
the TTimer.Create was called in, thus in a compatible way, the TTimers
that are placed visually and therefor created by the application start
code do main thread events). But (unfortunately :-) ) this is done
neither in Delphi nor in Lazarus, and it's not easy to do, as I suppose
it would need something like TThread.Application and with that a
completely event-driven programming paradigm for the thread in question.
This is exactly what I would like to see someday for FPC.

-Michael