[fpc-devel] Threads and alot of crap continued

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 7 18:19:31 CET 2006

> I don't
> even care, because I simply don't understand what "time" as in "timer"
> has to do with "graphics" as in "graphical". For me that's two
> completely different subjects unless we're talking about animations
> where those two subjects meet.
Viewing from top you are right, and I do need a platform independent
implementation along theses lines.

But (at least in Delphi) TTimer and GUI events are implemented using
system messages and a Windows-internal message scheduling API. FPC does
not know about messages, here Lazarus gets involved, as the LCL supplies
the TApplication class that is able to fire events when a message arrives.

So what I suggest is implementing a platform independent TApplication
class that can handle messages and implement TTimer and
TThread.synchronize and  other Delphi stuff on top of this, without
using GUI related system APIs, but using a System 5 Message queue in Linux.

-Michael