[fpc-devel] About the new package manager and networking

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 4 16:56:46 CET 2006

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Ales Katona wrote:
> > > I'm willing to add the required networking support to the packager if
> > > you guys tell me "how". I mean, should I add lNet as a choice to
> > > package/base or fcl (not sure on which the packager actualy depends), or
> > > just "inside" the packager (eg: not in packages or fcl)?
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, lnet can go in packages/extra/lnet,
> > or better yet, fcl/lnet...
>
> > I am already adding lnet and synapse support to fppkg.
> > (to WST too, BTW ;) ) The wget is a fallback and proof
> > of concept implementation.
>
> Synapse too? Why not Indy then? :-)

I was planning to add an Indy and ICS implementation as well.
Synapse is symply easiest to add. But if you want to do the
Indy implementation, please do.

But neither of those will be the default. The default will
probably be lnet, as that will be distributed with FPC.

But since I believe the packager should be agnostic with respect to
the used TCP/IP suite, I wanted to have many implementations.

Currently committed:
- wget
- synapse
- curlpas

Planned:
- lnet (Ales, will you do this or not, I was actually waiting with my implementation?)
- plain libcurl
- plain curl
- Indy
- ICS
If you want to implement one of Indy/ICS (I know you have experience with them)
then I can focus on other things...

> > > Personaly, I don't give a damn, I'm going to put lNet in packages/extra
> > > later and you need a stripped down version anyhow (eg: you don't need no
> > > openSSL support which forces a libc inside).
>
> Or a plugin system like used in the rtl for some feats.

The package manager uses a plugin system.
You have to set the DownloaderClass class variable, and then that one will
be used.

Michael.