[fpc-devel] fpcsrc/rtl/unix/video.pp

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Nov 3 14:50:36 CET 2006

> Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> >> The part after the dot in $LANG. It's possible though that there is no
> >> dot, no idea what to do, maybe assume iso-8859-1 ?
> >
> > It is also possible there is no LANG, like on all four Stack systems I
> > quickchecked. (freebsd,Solaris and debian mixed)
>
> But this isn't our fault then? People have to set their LANG then?

No, why? You are trying to derive terminal settings via some random locale
setting which didn't use to be related, and only set mandatorily on
relatively new system. (a lot of older distro's do have it, but not in base)

Setting lang might totally mess up an older system, since other programs
might start to try to configure themselves while locale packages are not
installed.

Moreover, I think the IDE should be usable without a lot of configuring and
safe fallback on older systems, So if you want to set a sane default if no
LANG var is present (or even a special "old systems mode", that is ok with
me, but don't require setting lang.