[fpc-devel] darwin - rtl include files

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed May 17 10:35:36 CEST 2006

Op Wed, 17 May 2006, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> > > According to daniel: yes
> > >
> > > But you should separate 2 things:
> > > - Provide feedback (tooltips, code completion)
> > > - View actual sources.
> > >
> > > For the first, the .ppu is enough. In Delphi 'Find declaration' also
> > > doesn't work half the time...
> >
> > Reading .ppu files is definitely planned for the codetools. But as Daniel
> > pointed out: If the .ppu format changes all ppu become unreadable.
>
> The format is such that you can always read older/newer .ppu files:
> there are just certain types of blocks which you can't handle.

I think reading ppu files can be done reliably with the help of some meta
data that describes the structure of the record. If you read a record
from ppu, things will break if we change record. However, with some
metadata that would get updated if the record changes an IDE would be able
to get to the data reliably.

The funny thing is that the compiler already generates such metadata:
Runtime Type Information. However, it is burried in the compiler
executable, and smartlinked away, so RTTI is currently not usable for this
purpose.

Daniël