[fpc-devel] -k linker path limit?

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Sun May 14 08:05:17 CEST 2006

While cross compiling a linux elf on a windows PC I found an odd bug/issue/problem that
I'm not sure whether is an FPC problem or a linker problem

Here's what I did:
Passed this -k option:
-kc:\test\test\test\test\test\test\ld-linux.so.2

Got error: Error: Can't call the linker, switching to external linking

If I shorten the path to something like:
-kc:\abc\abc\test\test\test\test\ld-linux.so.2

I get the correct error that should display, since that file does not exist:
 No such file: No such file or directory

So the problem I have is it is reporting "Can't call the linker" with that long path
above - when in fact it should be reporting "no such file".

Yes, I did successfully compile my program by throwing the ld-linux.so.2 file
into c:\tmp\ . That's a nice short path that always works ;-)

But that's not a elegant solution.. any idea why -k would be having trouble chomping long
paths? From what I can tell it doesn't appear to be a 255 string limit, which always does
come to mind.