[fpc-devel] [patch] ucomplex cln() bug

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 23:24:39 CEST 2006

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>>Given the chance, I would like also to ask some things about this unit. It is
>>not documented or even mentioned anywhere, so it was pretty hard to find it
>>in the first place. So is this unit considered an official part of fpc?
>

> It is else it wouldn't be in the distro ;) I guess more documenting it
> was forgotten so far. Fill a bug report and I assign it to Michael :)

Sorry I haven't filed that bug report yet. It's just that I'm always
bored of creating new accounts and of strange web interfaces, that is
all. I'd appreciate if someone with a bugzilla account and an interest
on this issue files the bug report, or else I'll do it myself sometime,
just don't hold your breath. :-)

>>Moreover, why are functions named in a C-like manner (cpow, cmod, csin)? Since
>>we have function overloading, wouldn't it be nicer if they were named after
>>math's unit functions (power, abs, sin)?
>

> Cross unit overloading wasn't available when this unit was written
> though I consider it a little bit dangerous in this case.

Could you please explain me the reasons? I am not at all experienced
with function/operator overloading and I have some doubts myself
(especially when combining function overloading with implicit type
conversions because of := overloading). It's just that I presumed
overloading would be safe enough, since they are a long time feature of
freepascal.

Thanks,
Dimitris