[fpc-devel] 2.0.4-rc2 macosx stuff

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Thu Jul 20 22:33:41 CEST 2006

On 20 Jul 06, at 21:11, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006, at 15:18, Schindler Karl-Michael wrote:
 .
 .
> > http://michael-ep3.physik.uni-halle.de/fpc.info
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://michael-ep3.physik.uni-halle.de/fpc-doc.info
> >
> > I think the .info files should go to fpcbuild/tags/
> > release_2_0_4_rc2/install/macosx
>
> Tomas, can you this since you are doing all the RC tagging?

Right. This is little bit chicken and egg
problem, isn't it? If I understand it correctly,
you need to have the complete exported sources
zipped before you can create these files
(otherwise the MD5 checksum cannot be created).
However, you want to add that file to the tree
afterwards. Once you do it, nobody can re-create
your zipped file from the tree again, because the
checksum changes and thus the file (or the
included checksum at least) becomes invalid...
Correct me if I understand it wrongly.

If my assumptions above regarding how it works
are correct, my suggestion would be:

1) Add current files to trunk and merge to fixes.

2) As part of preparation for the next round
(depending on whether that becomes RC3 or the
final version - I currently expect the former),
the files in SVN get updated with new directories
and filenames (I'd add this to the release
template to make sure this step isn't skipped).
The checksum is _not_ updated at that stage (it
isn't known anyway).

3) The files get tagged and exported as before
(let me know whether you prefer .tar.gz or .zip
sources in future builds - we can have both if
needed).

4) If needed, the files might get updated with
new checksums and committed to SVN (but not to
the release branch - only trunk and fixes) by
somebody.

Note: Committing of the updated version to SVN in
the last step probably isn't strictly necessary
(possibly not even useful). Instead of doing
that, you might supply a script for update of the
checksums instead (and include that script in
/fpcbuild/install too), or put this functionality
to Makefile.

Comments, opinions?

Tomas