[fpc-devel] LGPL vs MPL

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Dec 26 10:41:52 CET 2006

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

I let the other points to people knowing it better to answer.
> * plus point of MPL is you don't get confusion between GPL and LGPL.

- When FPC was started in 1993 there were basically two licenses: BSD
and (L)GPL so the choice was easy.

> Many just see GPL and stay away...

Don't make the common fault about OSS. Not users are important but
developers. And (L)GPL is much more developer friendly. Further, most
big OSS projects I know being completly "hobbyist" driven are (L)GPL.
The big projects using something else have either academic or commercial
roots or are too new so they use their own license.