[fpc-devel] Question about writing documentation

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Dec 21 23:51:53 CET 2006

Hi all,

Two things:

One: TDataset.Recordcount on Delphi (TclientDataset?) returns 0 if it's
called on an inactive TDataset. But an exception seems to be more
appropiate to me. But some dataset-descendents raise an exception, some
return 0.
Now what should I do in sqldb and the TMemDataset?

Two: I want to document the choice I made in point one, and I think that
the writing documentation at the same time is a good idea. But now I
have this question: TDataset.Recordcount always return -1. Even if the
TDataset is closed.
Any comment on the exception in, for example, TMemDataset.Recordcount,
should I place that in the TMemDataset.Recordcount-help? Or can I put
into the TDataset.Recordcount a remark, that most TDataset.Descendents
return 0 or raise an exception?
Normally you would write that down in the documentation of the
descendent, but I want to make a statement to TDataset-descendent-
developers, that if they make their own descendent, it should return 0
or an exception. where's the place to do that?

I hope my point is clear.

Regards,
  Joost.

--