[fpc-devel] LGPL vs BSD

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 4 10:42:47 CEST 2006

On 4 aug 2006, at 10:35, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Ok I see... So in terms of working with the FPC, does "object files"
> refer to ALL the *.ppu and *.o files relating to a commercial apps
> linked statically to the library?

No, it would only be the .o files (the linker doesn't need .ppu
files). But keep in mind that both the FPC RTL and the LCL come with
a modified LGPL license, which says that this is not necessary. The
modification means that you only have to make available the
modifications you did to the RTL/LCL source, and not make available
all object files of your application for relinking.

Of course, if you also statically link against another LGPL'd
library, this exception is moot.

> The library I am creating is meant
> to be compiled into your single executable application file, not as a
> separate .so or .dll file.

I'm not sure I understand this. Technically, both are possible in
principle.

Jonas