[fpc-devel] Templates / Generics

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Nov 9 08:20:30 CET 2005

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 rstar at mnet-online.de wrote:
> > >
> > Why should Borland reinvent the wheel?
> > http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33383,00.html
>
> That they will not invent new functionality is clear.
> But absolutely nothing is said about pascal _syntax_ for generics.
>
> How this is translated to the underlying CLI is something else, but
> that need not concern us.
>
> No-one is questioning the possibilities of generics.

Of the .NET generics for native use? Yes I am :_)

I had a thread about this in borland.delphi.non-technical, and the base
problem seems to be that generics can be only applied to a class using an
interface. Of course in .NET nearly everything is an object.

I haven't seen anything about native implementation yet.

> We're questioning the syntax to be used.

So I think even if some Delphi.NET2 syntax is revealed, we still can't do
anything with it, till we know for sure if the native implementation is not
some awful non-optimal kludge to allow .NET generics using code to compile
on delphi/native.