Modern Pascal Dialect [was Re: [fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion]

Jamie McCracken jamie-junk at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 12:02:45 CEST 2005

Nico Aragón wrote:
> El Sábado, 4 de Junio de 2005 11:00, Jamie McCracken escribió:
>
>>I had thought of that but thats problematic for debugging. IE the
>>compiler returns line numbers for errors and they will not match if I
>>use an external preprocessor.
>

> See the recent thread "How to manually control debug information" in this
> list. I asked the very same thing.

I admit I hadn't read it before but I already knew an external
preprocessor was more a last resort cause of the hacky nature of
correlating virtual line numbers to physical line numers.

>>For replacing Begin..End blocks with indents in my new dialect I planned
>>to use the compiler's internal preprocessor in the compiler to put back
>>the begin/end blocks without affecting the line numbers. I can do
>>likewise for syntactic sugar.
>>
>>If you or anybody else has advise on how best to implement it then
>>please let me know - I apreciate anything that will help me here.
>

> I've been playing with the same concept for years, so I think I do have some
> advice :-) The preprocessor is the right step to start

Which the compiler's internal preprocessor or your external preprocessor?

I prefer the internal one cause it means no external dependencies but
then again if its too dificult to use...

. I have a working
> scanner and the next tasks (conditional "compilation" and expressions)
> planned in detail. If you're interested, we could share the work.

If I get bogged down with the compiler internals then yes I'll be happy
to collaborate then. As I said IMO the external stuff is a last resort
to me not a first but thanks anyway for the offer - I will be in touch
if I need an external one.

jamie.