[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Thu Jun 2 21:01:34 CEST 2005

| >> I'am a poor delphi programmer, didn't use it for years, but I bet with
| >> any
| >> python programmer that I create any application faster than him :)
| >

| > You must be a damn fast typer then :)

Sometimes it's which keys are near the home key. I don't care if "{" is shorter than
begin, because "{" requires the shift key and finger strain. Plus, I always convert
"{" into "begin of code block" in my mind anyway.

I rarely find that fast typing helps my coding. It sure helps when writing emails.. or
when doing bulk operations on big amounts of code. But when creating code, usually you
have to stop and think.. and fast typing is useless. It helps when you are typing
comments for the code. Pressing things like "End" and the arrow keys takes my hand off
the home keys, and this cramps up my coding thought. But it's never the typing speed
that helps my productivity when writing code. Just comments and bulk operations on
code that was already written, that is now being changed.

What I find that takes more time then the typing, is running to the manual trying to
figure out what this cryptic thing does, or what parameter goes where. For example, if
you set(red,edit) how do you know it isn't set(edit,red)? So in php when I was using a
text editor.. I didn't have code completion and I always had to look things up. Or,
even with code completion, you still have to look up more detailed descriptions of
what the parameters are. But it's not the typing that costs me time.

What also takes more time than the typing of code is writing comments for the code.
Any language requires comments for the code, so there would be no advantage for any
language there. Comments are comments.

Lars