[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Jamie McCracken jamie-junk at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 17:23:50 CEST 2005

Vinzent Hoefler wrote:

>>manual memory management of tobjects is redundant as you can get good
>>performance with ref counting tobjects.
>

> That can be a point, yes. But it is somehow not related to any syntax.

It means not having to bother with my pet hate the try..finally..free

>>All in all the changes would mean you spend more of your time
>>implementing your application rather than typing loads of redundant
>>code.
>

> Typing is only a very small part of the development cycle. Performance
> measures indicate that rhe average programmer delivers about 2 to 20
> lines per code per day (measured over the whole development cycles,
> this of course includes testing, too).
>
> Compare these with the lines of code you *could* write in eight hours if
> you would just write them and you see how much you could optimize away
> there if you'd actually manage to double the performance.

You are referring to an industrial strength development process taht is
not used by a lot of developers (at least not that I know of considering
Delphi is a RAD tool and is primarily used as such).

>>Maintenance is easier as their is less redundancy.
>

> It simply depends on the kind of redundancy.
>
> For instance, "type" and "var" keywords are just redundant, the compiler
> could figure it out by itself, still they serve a useful purpose.

but that harms legibility. I wanna balance that trims the fat but not
the legibility.

jamie.