[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 2 15:47:07 CEST 2005

Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>

>> I'am a poor delphi programmer, didn't use it for years, but I bet with
>> any
>> python programmer that I create any application faster than him :)
>

> You must be a damn fast typer then :)

I teached myself typing with 10 fingers, but typing is not the issue with auto
completion etc. Show me a python ide which can do the same tricks as lazarus or
delphi.

>> The problem with pascal on linux was/is that there was no good
>> compiler in the
>> 90s for linux so a lot developers got lost.
>

> Gnu pascal?

We were talking about good :)

>>> 1) Forward declarations - they sux! Why should the developers have the
>>> burden of making the code totally sequential declaration wise. All other
>>> modern compilers dont need this.
>>

>> C++ is still the number one language and it requires it.
>

> yes but that aint modern! C# and python do not.

Modern doesn't mean necessarily good ...

>> Good performance like python ;)?
>

> If that were the case then yeah it would sux (however pythons
> performance is due to bien a bytecode interpreter and dynamic typing
> neither of which we need in pascal).

Ref. counting etc. eats time because you need good garbage collection to detect
cycles and other ugly stuff.