[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Jamie McCracken jamie-junk at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 15:46:45 CEST 2005

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>> However, in general Pascal has poor developer productivity when
>> compared to modern languages like python and C#. Ironically python is
>> perhaps the most popular language on Linux and most of its syntax is
>> derived from object pascal whereas pascal on linux is virtually
>> non-existant. Of course Python is piss poor in both performance and
>> memory usage but it does point the way to a revitalised pascal.
>> Adopting less verbose but still clean and clear syntax ala python is
>> IMHO the way to make Pascal great again.
>

> I beg to differ.
>
> Recently I rewrote a python program (on linux). The pascal version was
> shorter and much clearer to understand. The python syntax is a horror
> as far as I'm concerned.

Im not saying make pascal behave like python so if you were doing some
weird dynamic stuff with python thats fair enough. ALl im sayting is
theres no harm in replacing some of the verbose syntax with less verbose
ones provided they dont harm the clarity of the code.

I love delphi but find its verbosity a pain in  some circumstances.