[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich at compuserve.de
Thu Jun 2 15:27:53 CEST 2005

Gerhard Scholz wrote:

> Useful extensions I would see:
>
> bigger sets: set of -100000..100000 (e.g.)

Ordinals are positive numbers, and only ordinals can become set
elements.
In rare cases I missed bigger sets myself, in detail in parser
generators and other automatons with many states.

> a way to write integer constants in any base, not only
> binary/octal/hexadecimal (not so important, but easy to implement)

More important: Unicode literals. But I know that this would require a
very big change to the scanner, and to all code editors and other tools.
Perhaps somebody has another idea how to solve this problem?

> more operators which can be overloaded (should follow the ALGOL68 rules)

No, please, don't open a can of worms :-(

> the C-style operators += etc. should better be written as  +:= since C has =
> as assignment, Pascal has := as assignment symbol

:= means "assign to", += means "add to" etc., I cannot find any
inconsistency here.

DoDi