[fpc-devel] Threading / Synchronization

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas plcl at telefonica.net
Mon Jan 17 22:57:58 CET 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 10:37, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On So, 2005-01-16 at 23:36 +0100, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > The attached program works well under Linux when compiled with Kylix3. It
> > counts from 1 to 10 and ends. FPC compiles it, but doesn't work (loops
> > forever). Seems that CheckSynchronize doesn't work (or perhaps
> > TThread.Synchronize?).
>
> Afaik this hasn't been implemented (yet). I (re)wrote some threading
> stuff but couldn't finish it.

TThread.Synchronize support  has been announced as a new feature on FPC 1.9.6
See: ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/beta/whatsnew.txt

> > Another issue: CheckSynchronize has in Kylix3 an optional parameter
> > (Timeout: Integer = 0), not available in FPC.
>
> Which is, I think, ignored and only there for windows compatibility. But
> I'm not sure at all, could you check? [Though OTOH, it shouldn't be too
> hard to implement given the scheme neli and I discussed on #fpc]

The timeout parameter is undocumented in Kylix3, but it is not ignored. It
sleeps the given amount of time (in milliseconds) except if there is a
pending synchronize call already waiting.

I also understand that only documented features should be implemented for
compatibility,  and I can live without this feature.

Regards,
Pedro