[fpc-devel] dynamic package support

Hans-Jörg Vasold hansjoerg at vasold.de
Sun Feb 27 11:26:26 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be>
To: "FPC developers' list" <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [fpc-devel] dynamic package support

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> > Hans-Jörg Vasold wrote:
> >
> > > for a long time support for loading packages at runtime was "planned
> > > for
> > > later versions".
> > >
> > > But now i can not find that this is planned anymore. Will FreePascal
> > > support dynamic packages in future or not.
> >
> > http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Detailed_2.1.0_branch_todo
> >
> > However, it had quite low priority the last years because dyn. loaded
> > packages
> > for a dynamic moving project like fpc with daily snapshots are a real
> > problem.

> > As soon as one unit interface changes, all dependend packages must be
> > recompiled anyways. And usually there are only 1-2 fpc projects running
> > at the
> > same time on a system so main memory savings are little.

Unless you have a _good_ build tool. Porting want (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/want/ ) could help.

> On the other hand, for people who use FPC to develop end-user apps, it
> makes
> sense: they will normally not change their installed FPC every 2 months.

That's why i ask. We have a large inhouse application (ERP, paper document
processing, document managemen server), written mostly in Delphi. The ERP
Part is build on the top of tiopf ( http://www.techinsite.com.au/ ). We have
started porting the tiopf framework and our application but this makes no
sense unless dynamic package loading is supported, so we have stopped our
activities.

cu Hans-Joerg