[fpc-devel] MacOSX: EXC_ARITHMETIC in PerformHIConversion

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Aug 15 18:39:11 CEST 2005

On 15 Aug 2005, at 18:25, Marc Weustink wrote:

>>> Are these exceptions by default disabled by gcc ?
>>
>> The FPC runtime explicitly turns them on by default (since they
>> are  required for detecting errors), while libc doesn't. It is
>> independent of the compiler used.
>>

> So, if I understand it correct, you wont get a aritmic exeption in
> FPC anymore when this is turned on ?

The "invalid fpu operation" exceptions are turned on in the FPC
system unit initialisation code. If you add the code I posted, they
are turned off again and so you won't get them (not due to buggy code
in the Carbon framework and not anywhere else either).

> (and since it is off by default, what are the chances that it get
> fixed ?)

In the Carbon framework? Reasonable if many people report a bug to
Apple with a C program that crashes. At least one person has already
done that. The main problem is that this problem does not occur on
all systems. For example, it does not happen on my iBook nor on my G5.

Jonas