[fpc-devel] Re: Exporting from Elf okay?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich at compuserve.de
Sun Aug 7 16:42:13 CEST 2005

L505 wrote:

> | With regards to gnu linux:
> | How about the Elf format?
> | Is it possible to export code from an elf? (i.e. export functions)
> |

> Okay, I researched the topic. Of course, yes, you can export functions from an executable
> on linux. But freepascal doesn't seem to like it just yet.

How do you intend to use the exported symbols of an stand-alone
executable?
As a shared library, or how else?

Perhaps Linux and Windows executable files are not too different. On
Windows the file format (MZ) is the same for DLLs and EXE files, the
main difference is the invocation through the WinMain or LibMain entry
points. On Linux the shared libraries may have a similar implementation,
so that the exported symbols can be used only with shared library
modules.

DoDi