[fpc-devel]some m68k releated stuff

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 28 09:00:01 CET 2003

At 03:09 28/03/2003, Balogh, Karoly (Charlie/iNQ) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Here are a few things about the m68k version i'd like to discuss.
>
>First, how well the FPU codegenerator is tested in the m68k version?
>I ask, because i've got a pretty big piece of code here, which makes
>heavy use of float math. (A 3D engine namely.) I wrote it using the
>i386 compiler, a few years ago. So now i tried to port it to m68k.
>After working around a few internalerror(10)'s :) i successfully compiled
>the code, and it worked. But then i tried to switch off the FPU emulation
>to generate direct FPU code, since that should be really faster on my
>'060 baby. But i didn't got anything but nasty crashes, and some invalid
>instruction exceptions... So, are there any known defects of the FPU code
>generator, or should i try to give a small example program which shows
>the error?

What version do you use?
the Amiga napshot that Carl created?
Did you try the linux or the netbsd port?
The main difference, is that these two ports have
do not use FPU emulation by default.
 Testing your code under these target would allow
to check if the problems are generic fpu code generation problem
or problems specific to the ports that use emulation by default.

>Second, is there a chance to get '020 style addressing supported in
>inline assembly? So to use (1234,a0) instead of 1234(a0). Well, it's
>not that important, but can come handy in some cases...

That should problably not be very difficult to implement....
just take a look into m68k/raasm.pas

procedure BuildReference
and extend it to support comma after a constant expression....

>Third, is it possible to have parameter-passing in registers, in the
>procedure definition in a foreseeable future? Needless to say, it can
>come handy when someone writing header units for AmigaOS libs... :)

This will only be started in the 1.1 compiler but is not
yet in the high priority list....

>And for last, are there any jobs open for volunteers in the
>m68k/amigaos port? I'd really like to make myself useful. :)

This is more a question for Carl....