[fpc-devel]intolerable sets incompatibility!

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Wed Mar 5 10:43:27 CET 2003

At 13:40 05/03/2003, Pavel V. Ozerski wrote:
>Hello all,
>I tried to use some set types as fields in database.
>I would put into datebase a structure
>
> tInfo=packed record
>  date:set of 1..36;
>  hour:set of 0..23;
> end;
>
> Of cource, I must reserve correct count of bytes for database field.
> Therefore I checked SizeOf value for this structure. But I compared
> results of working of FPC-compiled, Delphi-compiled and
> VirtualPascal-compiled program that wrote this value. Results:
> Delphi and VP - 9 bytes, FPC - 36 bytes. I must conclude: using FPC
> for this databse should cause: 1) its unwarrantable bloating; 2)
> impossibility to use the same code in Delphi and in FPC (at least the
> same type definitions) to access this database. May be, the sets
> handling in FPC may be rewritten?

Please Pavel,
you are very welcome if you want to do that.

But honestly, this is not a top priority of the core developper list
for the moment, so don't expect that this will be
implemented in near future by one of us...

So, but sometiles, I prefer to disappoint you
right away, rather than letting you hope for
something that has only little chance to happen
in a decent time distance.

Explicit typecasting will be your only way out of this incompatibility
for now and for quite a while.....