[fpc-devel]Just joined

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Sun Jun 23 00:05:48 CEST 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> > > I did find gtk+-1.3.0-20020313.zip on http://www.gtk.org/  but it
> contains
> > > libgtk-0.dll and libgdk-0.dll are these the same files? Do I need
> to change
> > > the FPC source to use these?
> >
> > Changing the dll file names will probably be the easiest thing to do.
>
> You can't do that. The new Win32 GTK libraries that you indicate above
> are the latest versions for Win32. They are interdependent and require
> that they maintain the names they currently have. The only way to use
> these new libraries is to build a new version of the GTK unit in the
> FCL to look for these new library names.

:/

The ever-present library versioning and naming problems :/
What is the logic behind naming it g*k-0.dll if the version is 1.3 ??
Probably they don't want these libs in production - so only people
compiling everything anew should use these libs ?

It means that existing programs cannot enjoy the benefits of newer,
fixed libraries ? Nice going  :/  Even Microsoft doesn't do that !
(Well, not often ;))

Michael.