[fpc-devel]Building the PalmOS cross compiler...

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Tue Sep 4 15:06:38 CEST 2001

On dinsdag, september 4, 2001, at 02:50 , Julia A. Case wrote:

> Ok, not to sound naieve (I've built many cross compilers with gcc) but
> now it fails when it tries to compile the rtl (which it seems want to do
> immediately when I start the compiler compile) and it fails to find the
> includes (both in rtl/unix and rtl/inc) how to do I add these
> directories to the include path?

The reason it wants to recompile the rtl is that the 1.0.5 rtl directory
is automatically added to the source search path if you type "make" in
the compiler dir and the data/time of those source files is different
from the dates/times stored in the ppu files of your 1.0.4 rtl. C
compilers don't use ppu files (a binary file in which the interface of a
unit is stored), except if you tell them to use "precompiled headers"
and the C library often isn't tied to the compiler, which is why you
never encounter that there.

So, you first hae to "cycle" the 1.0.5 compiler by typing "make cycle"
in the 1.0.5 compiler dir. This will compile the new rtl, then the
compiler, then the new rtl again with the compiler created in the
previous pass etc until two successively generated compilers are exact
binary matches. You'll end up with a ppc386 file in your compiler dir.
Move this one somewhere else and give it another name (such as ppc105).

After you've done that, you can start the procedure I outlined before,
but you'll have to add FPC=ppc105 (or FPC=path_to_ppc105/ppc105 if it
isn't in the path) in the first step (the one where you create the
ppc68k binary). You may want to clean the compiler dir first, though, so
use

make FPC=ppc105 CPU_TARGET=m68k clean all

(and with the resulting compiler, compile the palm os rtl)

Jonas