[fpc-devel]FPC and variants

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Feb 19 20:34:55 CET 2001

> > Yes, new tests are scheduled for this week. (several Delphi packages wil be
> > tested to test the Delphi compability of the 1.1 compiler)
> >
> > Today I tried to compile Martin Waldenberg's Decal. I found 11-12 problems,
> > most in the variant/widechar sphere.
>
> What do you think when FPC will have variant support?

1.1 already has, but not yet all types that Delphi knows are
supported, and it still needs a lot of debugging. (e.g. you can't pass a
variant to an array of const)

> I'm currently porting (ok, trying to) a component that heavily relies on
> variants - should I wait till FPC supports them or should I replace the variants
> by something else now?

Hard to tell. I don't know how difficult debugging and extending
variants will be (some parts are also depending on widestrings), and
also a release based on 1.1 is still at least half an year away.

On the other hand, 1.1 snapshots are seeming to become somewhat
usuable again.

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV at Stack.nl or marco at freepascal.org)