[fpc-devel]compiling FPC from cvs

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Sun Feb 11 17:06:13 CET 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Willi Krenn wrote:

> First let me say, that I hope I hit the right list with this email! (I'm sure
> you'll tell me if I don't :) )

You've got the right one :)

> Ok, since Kylix(tm) is way out of my finacial reach and I don't plan to license
> all my programs under GPL I thought I should try FreePascal to get my work done
> under Linux.
> As I desperately need interfaces (variants are not that important) for the
> port of a project (www.dwscript.com) I looked in the lazarus mail archive
> (the others are not working) and found out that fpc 1.1 supports interfaces!
> (The compiler changelogs are indicating the same.)
> As I had some time left I  did a fpc checkout, downloaded the fpc 1.5 rpm and
> wanted to compile the new fpc version. Here lies my problem:
>
> Free Pascal Compiler version 1.0.5 [2001/01/15] for i386

Note that version 1.0.5 does *not* support interfaces, only version 1.1
and higher does. We currently have two development branches: 1.0.5, in
which only bugfixes are applied, and 1.1, in which also new features are
added.

> Copyright (c) 1993-2000 by Florian Klaempfl
> Target OS: Linux for i386
> Compiling pp.pas
> Compiling catch.pas
> catch.pas(42,10) Fatal: Can't compile unit LINUX, no sources available
> make: *** [ppc386] Error 1
> willi at pciii:~/fp/fpc/compiler >
>
> Now what 's the error?  What did I wrong?

It seems the compiler is using a wrong RTL. Use -vt to see where the RTL
is searched. You always have to use a compiler and an RTL compiled with
this compiler (well, not always, but it's the safest that way). You can
also download a binary snapshot of the 1.1 compiler from
ftp.freepascal.org/fpc/snapshot normally.

Joans