[fpc-devel]documentation snapshot

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Sep 22 14:43:38 CEST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Lee, John wrote:

> [...]

The documentation can be generated on Windows if you install miktex.
I do it regularly at work.

>  but I do think a
> > documentation snapshot (including the html version)

The HTML cannot be generated on Windows. In general, the use of the HTML docs
is deprecated, since the quality of the conversion is below all standards IMHO.
(despite some good work done by Peter Vreman to improve it's quality)
PDF was, is, and will continue to be, the reference documentation as far as I'm
concerned.

>  is desireable, since,
> > as the recent communications have revealed the rel 1.0 version does need
> > updating - I've mentioned a few problems (eg missing examples) to Michael,
> > plus there are (some) missing fnsin some units not mentioned/added
> > recently. It might take some effort but it might save some by reducing
> > some qs, plus it'd ensure that doc improves (as the code does)  when
> > people find & flag faults...

I have just updated the docs, and I am still updating them. I keep all mails
regarding the docs in a todo list. I don't see the use of a documentation
snapshot since they are not updated on a day-to-day basis, so I consider it
a waste of effort.

Also, the behaviour of the snapshots may change. Keeping the docs up-to-date
with that would require much time; it is only when we release a version that
I document new features, since then the changes have a more 'permanent' character.

I am, of course, always open for comments/suggestions regarding the docs...

Michael.