[fpc-devel]Support for 16-bit assembler ?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Dec 3 16:27:20 CET 2000

> >>Will support for 16-bit assembler be added to FPC in the future ?
> >
> >No, because there is no use for it. FPC is a 32 bit compiler.
>

> I meant for compatibility reasons. I have a lot of assembly code built in
> my TPUs and it is pain in the neck to change that to 32-bit code.

Afaik, everything 16-bit that runs in 32-bit protected mode is
supported (like purely calculating code). Supporting 16-bit segment
and hardware interfacing would come down to writing a 16-bits
realmode emulator inside the 32-bit extender.

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV at Stack.nl or marco at freepascal.org)